Three choices…Accept … Change … or Leave…
On the fence about whether to stay or leave your present job? Here is some advice I was given many years ago as a young engineer.
In any situation, you have three choices … accept things as they are … change them … or leave…
Really quite simple. I applied this test several times, and several times ultimately ended up leaving. But only after trying to change things for the better. But as my career progressed, I eventually realized I was never going to be a good corporate rat.
Not all cases of leaving were precipitated by an inability to change things. To wit:
- Laid off once when the company fell on hard times. Couldn’t change that.
- Fired once when the boss decided to replace me with a buddy who didn’t have the cajones to join the start up at the beginning. Should have left earlier.
- Left to make a career change from pure engineering into sales. No way to make that change with the current employer.
- Left after a “less than stellar” review suggested my efforts (and changes) were neither fully understood nor appreciated. Decided not to accept it.
- And finally, made my JumpToConsulting, leaving a company I liked but driven by the opportunity to follow a dream – and to make my own changes without the politics.
In the end, this simple “test” helped me make several critical career decisions. No agonizing — just applied logic and analysis.
Hope it helps you too – whether you are making a JumpToConsulting or not.
© 2015, jumptoconsulting.com. All rights reserved.